Because of Covid-19, we have had to implement strict protocols for all practices and workouts this summer. I feel we have done an excellent job keeping all of our high school players safe so far this offseason. Here are our protocols and precautions we will follow for MS tryouts:
COVID-19 Health Protocols:
- Signage will be posted at entrances and exits indicating North Cobb HS is invested in following the correct health protocols. These signs will clearly state one cannot gain entry if you have COVID-19, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or if you or family members have been exposed to COVID-19 in the last two weeks.
- Players will be dropped off in between the Arena and Main Gym, and will need to picked up from the same area.
- All players should wear a mask while walking into the gym, and in the waiting area in the hallway. Once instructed by the coach to enter the court area, they may remove the mask and enter the court with their water bottle (mandatory) and individual hand sanitizer (recommended). All players should put their mask back on before leaving the gym at the end of tryouts and wear the mask until they get to their car.
- All coaches and players will answer screening questions before entering gym.
- All coaches, staff members, and players will have their temperatures taken before entering gym.
- All coaches will wear masks/face coverings during the tryout, except when addressing the entire group from a safe distance.
- Spectators will not be allowed in the gym.
- All players must sanitize their hands upon entry.
- After cleaning their hands, players must place their bag and personal items in a designated area separate from the other players bag and items in the hallway.
- Coaches and staff members will sanitize their hands prior to and multiple times during practice sessions.
- Players will sanitize their hands multiple times during their training session. Hand cleaning stations will be in place on all occupied courts.
- Coaches will closely monitor all players at all times. Players must stay on their assigned courts.
- At the end of the training session coaches and staff members will clean their assigned balls, ball carts and any other training equipment utilized.
- Bathroom facilities will be frequently sanitized and cleaned (before and after each tryout session).
- There will be no use of the water fountain during these training sessions, so bring enough water for the entire practice session.
- It is absolutely required of everyone to either wash or sanitize their hands after using the restroom, sneezing, coughing, and before participating in any activity.
GHSA SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR VOLLEYBALL RULES MODIFICATIONS
The considerations outlined in this document are meant to decrease potential exposure to respiratory droplets by
encouraging social distancing, limiting participation in administrative tasks to essential personnel and allowing for
appropriate protective equipment during practice and competition.
- Host School Responsibility
• Schools shall provide hand sanitizer for both schools and officials.
• Schools shall enforce social distancing requirements in spectator areas.
• Schools shall provide enough sanitized game balls and they must be sanitized between matches.
• Schools shall sanitize court, Officials table, Referee Stand and top and bottom ban of the net between matches.
- Player Equipment
• Volleyball players are to arrive at the venue in uniform. Use of locker rooms are not allowed.
• Face mask/coverings are recommended, but not mandatory. If worn it must be a single color, without logos or
• Players shall use their own water/beverage bottles (sharing these items is prohibited).
• Player/team equipment shall be sanitized before and after each match.
- Pre-Match Conference
• Limit attendees to one coach from each team and official(s).
• Pre-match conference should take place at center court with all participants maintaining social distancing.
• Establish social distancing match protocols including the elimination of handshakes before and after the match.
• Rosters shall be submitted directly to Official’s table before the 10-minute mark.
- Bench and Court Precautions
• Team bench areas are to be clearly marked with tape. Chairs are not allowed in the marked bench area.
• The entire team will proceed counterclockwise outside the standards when switching between sets.
• Players shall not exit the bench area to celebrate with teammates and/or fans.
• Team huddles without social distancing are prohibited.
• Limit bench personnel to observe social distancing.
• Social distancing requirements shall be maintained in the bench area and may extend the bench area into a clearly
marked “out of play” area.
• Players are prohibited from licking, touching any part of their hands to the mouth, or blowing into their hands.
NOTE: Any violation of this policy shall be called an “unnecessary delay” immediately, the ball and any equipment
shall be sanitized before play resumes.
• Each school is required to provide towels to wipe up wet floor.
- Substitution Procedures and Officials Table
• Substitutions shall be made with social distancing to official(s), scoring table and other players.
• Limit the Official’s Table to essential personnel which includes home team scorer, libero tracker and timer with
social distancing between individuals.
• Visiting team personnel are not deemed essential personnel and will work from an alternate location.
- Coaches & Officials
• Officials should arrive in uniform to officiate.
• Officials are encouraged to wear face mask/covering and gloves.
• Coaches who request a timeout to discuss a rule, shall maintain social distancing from the official(s).
• Coaches shall always maintain social distancing to own players and opponents.
• Electronic whistles are permissible.
• Line judges will use hand signals – no flags.